The Further Adventures of mmm

Trip journal, musings, updates on my life

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Where in the world is Mary McClellan?



Hi.
Sorry to have fallen off the face of the earth for some of you, but it's been a really crazy year. Here's the update for those of you who don't already know:

In April of last year, I moved back to California to take a job with Hampton-Brown as Editorial Director. I rented a house in Pacific Grove, near Lovers Point. Very scenic, very charming, but very non-tax deductible to be a renter again.

SO I bought a townhouse in Aptos (see above), just south of Santa Cruz and moved in in September. Very expensive to buy in this area, but very tax deductible. Aptos is a charming town, and the beach is a mile from the townhouse. The commute to Carmel is 45 mins on a good day, but the route does pass the ocean. Not bad.

HOWEVER, the job didn't work out. I had been warned about the owner (those of you who were among the warners can now pause to pat yourselves on the back), but I thought, "How bad could it be?" Bad, I tell you. Bad. After six months of dealing with a psyche-crushing, morale-smashing atmosphere, and despite the other lovely people who work there, I quit.

NOW I'm freelancing and loving it. I'm just tired of having a boss, and the flexibility of the freelance life agrees with me. (OK, so I love sleeping in. I admit it.) I'm staying very busy and have much work coming in, so I think I'll just keep freelancing until I can't tell a high frequency word from a decodable one anymore.

Does this mean I'm staying put, no more changes? Surely you jest. Despite the amount of work I have and I expect, it doesn't make sense to live in one of the most expensive areas in the country, SO I'm selling my townhouse in Aptos and moving to Sacramento sometime in the next month or two. I have friends and family in Sacramento, it's closer to my mom, and it's a lot cheaper.

Other news: I'm up to four cats now: Clyde, Mason, Peanut, and Shiloh. I adopted Shiloh from the Animal Friends Rescue League. She's a total nut and a total sweetie. Clyde has informed me, though, that four is enough, so no more cat adoptions. They all get along beautifully, now that I've gotten all the personalities balanced out.

Mom is doing wonderfully. My brother Roger and I went up to see her at Christmas, and we had a great time. It was worth the move, despite the job's not working out, just to be closer to Mom and the rest of the California family contingent, as well as nearer to friends who knew me back in the day.

That's the update for now. I'll let you know where I end up.
Love,
mmm

1 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger OL said…

    Just who are the Vegassians? And, from whence did they emanate? Maybe they're related to the Limurians who reside under Mt Shasta or maybe they're from the Bronx. I'm inclined toward the latter. Possibly Flatbush or Ozone Park. Traveling in a RV w/ felines; M, you're either crazy or courageous, but, I think it more likely a precise mixture of both.
    It sounds like Christmas w/ Mom was about as good as it gets. Maybe the trick to getting to heaven is knowing when you're already there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home